Storage & Backup Engineer
A storage engineer is responsible for designing, implementing, and deploying shared system resources, like disks and networking. Storage engineers also work on performance analysis and troubleshooting, data recovery strategies for critical systems, and data backup measures. They must be highly skilled in storage hardware architectures; high-level programming languages; distributed file systems; network protocols; and data storage applications. These individuals must stay up-to-date on new technologies to ensure they offer the latest solutions to their clients.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide storage/SAN administration and security management experience in various storage technologies, inclusive of direct attached storage, Storage Area Network, and archival storage.
- Provide Backup administration and manage end to end backup infrastructure including backup job policies including Backup to disk and backup to tape.
- Maintain Tape rotation schedule for Data Center provider (Tape handling) and offsite storage provider to ensure completeness and accountability.
- Remain current in the knowledge and use of data storage technology and management products.
- Provide event, warning, alert, and alarm processing and resolution of all event, warning, alert, and alarm messages.
- Investigate and provide improvement or remedial to operational processes
- Conduct routine monitoring using Software tools to measure the efficiency of online storage access, and take corrective action as needed (including performance adjustments to Equipment and Software, or file placement as required to improve service).
- Manage file transfers and other data movement activities and provide input processing, for activities such as loading third-party media (e.g. tape) and receipt and/or transmission of batch files.
- Manage online storage Thresholds and data archives.
- Monitor user directories for file inactivity and maintain file directories and catalogues.
- Providing online storage compaction as needed and as possible within production processing schedules.
- Maintain database catalogue for the archival system for the External Storage Media library.
- Monitor and report on External Storage Media usage.
- Perform backup enhancement and improvement.
- Perform system data backup and recovery as required and in accordance with standards, policies, and Disaster Recovery requirements.
- Perform nightly backups on all defined systems in accordance with standards, policies and Disaster Recovery requirements
Must Have Skill/Experience
- In-depth experience in architecture design, managing and supporting Cloud Computing Platforms
- Storage experience in NetApp, EMC, Eturnus, Data Domain and IBM technology.
- Backup experience on backup technologies like NetBackup, DPM and HPDP.
- Exprience in StorSimple, Nimble, PureStorage or any kind of new breeds of storage.
- Experience in Storage networking including SAN switches, FC, iSCSI, FCoE, iSCSI etc.
- Some scripting experience for automation.
- Familiar with the tools like Solarwinds and other monitoring technologies.
- Worked in an environment practicing ITIL based service management
- Certifications such as Microsoft Certified Professional (MCSE various track), VMware, PMP/ PRINCE2, ITIL V3, AWS Certified Solutions Architect/ Azure Solutions Architect will be an added advantage.